The first few weeks with a newborn are a blur of sleepless nights mixed with new baby bliss, and feeding and changing on repeat (I speak from experience) so below I will tell you why you should choose a lifestyle in-home newborn session.
I know, I know, the idea of having someone you barely know come into your home when you're navigating life with a new baby can seem a little scary but you want to capture this precious time before this chapter has too quickly moved on to the next.
So here are my Top 5 reasons to do newborn photos at home:
- You DON’T HAVE TO LEAVE the comfort of your own home. Leaving the house with a newborn is not a simple task. Don't worry about if they need feeding and packing all the nappies, wipes, backup outfits, and rushing out the door on time. It’s so much easier for a photographer to arrive at your door – they will have all the gear they need and you have everything at your fingertips. So don’t worry I’ll come to you while you can relax and spend time with your family.
- A session that’s UNIQUE to your family! A session that takes place in your home is authentic. These photographs will have real memories attached to a place where you and your family live and grow together. Imagine pictures of your baby sleeping in their cot or photos of your whole family cuddling on the couch where you spend the majority of your time. I’ll be able to capture all the elements of the house that you have created into a home! These images will be unique to your family!
- Your home is part of your baby's story. Maybe this is your ‘forever’ home. Or perhaps it’s just where you’ve settled for this chapter in your life. Either way, this is home. Don’t worry about it not being photogenic, too small or your nursery isn’t ready yet etc! Love it or not, it will forever be the start of their story, the first chapter of your lives together. In 30 years time, they won't care about how insta-worthy their room was, they will just want to see how tiny they looked in Mum's arms as you rocked them to sleep in the living room, or how you all snuggled on the bed together. Trust me, those are the photos that will matter!
- Capture REAL MEMORIES of life with your new baby. Although a studio photographer can create some real magic, this is just not my kind of photography. I prefer to photograph babies and families in a more natural way, like in the loving arms of their parents at a place where everyone feels happy and comfortable vs. posed and placed in a crate or bucket. In the majority of my images, they will be cuddled in your arms - their happy place. I prefer to photograph your baby just the way they are so the images can truly reflect your memories. This lifestyle approach also means you will get a wider range of images: little one asleep in your arms, on your bed with their sibling(s), in their nursery as well as all the little details. So the images take you back to a place in time. Memories to treasure for years to come.
- No strict timeline! So you’re saying my baby doesn’t need to be under 10 days old to have newborn photos?! That’s right! The advantage of my lifestyle newborn photography style is that I don’t pose the baby. My sessions are very relaxed and don't require Bub to be asleep or to perform any crazy baby yoga positions, so even if your baby is 6 to 12 weeks old by the time you are feeling up to photos, they will still capture all that new baby love. My sessions are baby-led, so don’t worry if the baby cries and needs cuddles, or if it wants a feed, needs a nappy change, or your toddler is having a meltdown. My sessions are scheduled with plenty of time and we will get what we need. I’ll keep clicking during all these moments too because they are all so precious.
I hope this blog post has helped you on whether an in-home lifestyle newborn session is right for you. So if you're searching for a Newborn Photographer in London and putting your baby in a flower pot is not really your vibe, get in touch and I'd be honoured to capture all the precious parts of this chapter for your family.
“We had a wonderful experience with Roz during our newborn session. Roz was so fun and easy to be with which helped us relax and focus on our little one. We loved that she came to our home to capture these sweet moments in our natural setting. The photographs are above and beyond what I had hoped for–my heart swells with love as I look through them! I am truly grateful to her for capturing our family in a way that feels so authentic to us. We will treasure these photographs forever.”
“Our experience with Roz has been wonderful from start to finish. From the booking process to the execution and delivery of the photos everything was perfect! Roz managed to capture such beautiful moments in our home and made us all feel at ease with her guidance. I found all her advice on how to prepare for the photoshoot very useful and she was on hand to answer any questions I had. The whole experience felt very bespoke and personal and very much about us and our family.””
Roz Creed is a lifestyle newborn, maternity, and family photographer based in Chiswick, West London. She loves to capture authentic connections between people and families and to freeze those moments in time that pass all too quickly. The areas she covers are Chiswick, Fulham, Barnes, Mortlake, Richmond, Kew, Brentford, Acton, Ealing Hammersmith, Putney, Battersea, Wandsworth, Fulham, Parsons Green, Wimbledon, Hampstead, Belsize, St Johns Wood, Shepherds Bush, Twickenham, Kingston upon Thames, Nortbiton, Teddington, Central London, Notting Hill, Paddington, Kensington & Chelsea, Holland Park, Victoria, Pimlico, Vauxhall, Lambeth, Maida Vale, Kilburn, Queenspark, Kensal Rise, Islington & Stoke Newington. If you live out of these areas that is not a problem, but an additional travel fee may apply.